Modern Judaism : An Oxford Guide
Table Of Contents
1. General Introduction , The Editors
2. Demographic Issues , Uzi Rebhun
Part One. Historical Issues
3. Enlightenment And Emancipation , Lois Dubin
4. Persecution , Robert Van Pelt
5. A National Home , Emmanuele Ottolenghi
Part Two. Issues Of Religion And Modernity
6. Modernist Movements , Miri Freud-Kandel
7. Traditional Strands , Eliezer Don-Yehiya
8. Humanist And Secular Judaisms , Yaakov Malkin
Part Three. Local Issues
9. American Jewry , Chaim I. Waxman
10. Israeli Jewry , Eran Kaplan
11. French Jewry , Paula Hyman
12. British Jewry , Miri Freud-Kandel
13. Jewry In The Former Soviet Union , John Klier
Part Four. Social Issues
14. Survey , Harvey Goldberg
15. Jewish Identity , Steven M. Cohen
16. Fundamentalism , Nurit Stadler
Part Five. Religious Issues
17. Survey , Harvey Goldberg
18. Prayer And Worship , Ruth Langer
19. Authority Of Texts , Nicholas De Lange
20. The Future Of Jewish Observance , Jeremy Wanderer
Part Six. Theological Issues
21. Survey , Norbert M. Samuelson
22. Revelation , David Novak
23. Covenant , Peter Ochs
Part Seven. Philosophical Issues
24. Survey , Kenneth Seeskin
25. The Problem Of Evil , Daniel Rynhold
26. Jewish Ethics In A Modern World , Michael Zank
Part Eight. Halakhic Issues
27. Survey , Jonathan Cohen
28. Halakhah And Israel , Daniel Sinclair
29. Contemporary Issues In Halakhah , Steven H. Resnicoff
Part Nine. Gender Issues
30. Survey , Susannah Heschel
31. The Changing Role Of Woman , Judith Baskin
32. Models Of Jewish Manhood , Daniel Boyarin
Part Ten. Judaism And The Other
33. As Others See Jews , Elliot Horowitz
34. Jewish-Christian Relations , M. M. Tolstoy
35. Jewish-Muslim Relations , Reuven Firestone
Part Eleven. Emerging Issues
36. Post-Zionism , Emmanuele Ottolenghi
37. Sexuality , Steven Greenberg
A comprehensive, multi-disciplinary, multi-authored guide to contemporary Jewish life and thought, focusing on social, cultural and historical aspects of Judaism alongside theological issues. This volume includes 38 newly-commissioned essays, including contributions from leading specialists in their fields. This book covers the major areas of thought in contemporary Jewish Studies, including considerations of religious differences, sociological, philosophical, and gender issues, geographical diversity, inter-faith relations, and the impact of the Shoah and the modern state of Israel.
Readership: Suitable for all undergraduate students studying Modern Judaism. Also for the general reader looking for a comprehensive guide to Modern Judaism.
in stock within 3-5 days of online purchase
SKU (ISBN): 9780199262878
Editor: Nicolas DeLange | Editor: Miri Freud-Kandel
Binding: Trade Paper
Published: March 2005
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Print On Demand Product
Experiencing Israel : Walking With Jesus In The Holy Land$29.99Add to cart
Follow in the Footsteps of Your Savior
If you’ve ever wanted to walk the streets Jesus trod, hike the hills He travelled, pass through the doorways He entered, you can now discover the Holy Land like never before.
Journey with bestselling author Dr. Tony Evans from wherever you are and explore the Holy Land in Experiencing Israel. This guided tour of key locations in the Bible reveals the historical and spiritual significance of each place.
As you see Israel up close through the pages of this book, you will…
*gain a deeper understanding of the events of the Bible through the geography and history, and people of the land
*gather insights that enrich your understanding of God’s Word and build on the spiritual *foundations of your faith
*feel as if you were there through the stunning, full-color photography throughout
*find practical applications that bring the world of the Bible into your life today
Whether for the first time, or all over again, take your faith journey deeper with Experiencing Israel.
We Can Do Better Part 1$4.99Add to cart
“That they may be one even as we are one” – Jesus the Messiah
In a response to today’s racially charged climate, Dr. Tony Evans speaks from a spiritual perspective and discusses the need for racial healing in our nation and in our churches. He proposes that at the core of racial disunity lies the failure to understand and execute righteousness and justice from God’s perspective. In this timely book, which concludes with a personal challenge to all believers, Dr. Evans calls readers to be intentional about embracing God’s desire for oneness.
Praying Like A Kingdom Hero$14.99Add to cart
“Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.”-Hebrews 11:1-2
Like the Bible heroes found in Hebrews 11, you’ll face hardships in life where all you can do is cry out to your Heavenly Father. For those trials, Praying Like a Kingdom Hero will help you seek God’s providence and peace with a heart of worship, wisdom, and willingness to follow His plan for your life.
In this companion to Kingdom Heroes, Dr. Tony Evans will show you how to pray like those praised by God. He’ll guide you through prayers that let you humbly approach God with your fears and desires, seeking a spirit of Christ-centered endurance that will carry you to victory.
When the winds of chaos blow turmoil into your life, God remains your perfect refuge. Praying Like a Kingdom Hero encourages you to seek God through conversation with Him, confident that He’ll enact His perfect will through life’s imperfect circumstances.
We Can Do Better Part 2$4.99Add to cart
“His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known…” Ephesians 3:10
Churches have been uniquely called to impact our society for good. In this timely book, Dr. Tony Evans offers “the plan” we have all been looking for to not only bring about racial unity in our country but to also restore our communities. He unveils a local model for the church that will impact your community and effect change in the lives of many. This step-by-step plan is sure to transform communities, and our nation.